Saturday January 14th 2017
- Crack of dawn flight from Vancouver to St Paul/Minneapolis. I feel bad that Andrea had to get up so early to drive me to the airport. Again.
- Gotta say I like the MSP airport. Good food. Lots of interesting art work. My layover flew by. Although their map of Australia is missing the most important state..
- Connecting flight to Tampa, shuttle to La Quinta hotel. Why is sitting on my butt in an airplane so exhausting. Sleep the sleep of the dead.
- Shuttle to ship, sign on, find my cabin, nap...
- Explore the ship a little, it's only my second time on a spirit class ship. I spent a week on Legend two years ago, so really it's my first time on this class of ship. I can't get used to the layout. At least I found the shops.
- Vessel familiarization. We have to do this every time we sign on. This time there was cookies.
- Guest safety briefing. My position is at the main stairwell. So lots of guests asking where they need to go because they didn't listen to the announcements.
Monday 16th Sea Day
Work 830am to about 130am, with a lunch and dinner break.
Crew wellness check in the morning - TB test, results in two days. Blood pressure is high. 130/??? I'm not sure what my normal is, but it's usually low so the nurse wants me to come back in 48 hours for a check up.
Get the ships schedule for the next little while. Anyone want to come cruise?
In the evening I get my photo taken for and receive my Crew ID. Worse than my drivers license. Worse than my passport. Why are ID photos always awful?
The gift shop manager has the night off-on so I'm on my own. Good thing I partially know what I'm doing.
Tuesday 17th Cozumel
Team lunch at Arabian Tacos in Cozumel. The restaurant is owned by the family of a girl who works in the shops. It was good food and good price. Try it out if you are ever in Cozumel.
We are docked with Valor, so after lunch I meet up with a friend for drinks.Hi Russell!
Wednesday 18th Belize
Crew wellness follow up - I do not have TB and my blood pressure is fine
I facilitated a training for the team on our one year guarantee
My dinner break was so late, the mess had already closed. I had dinner on lido - toasted ham and cheese from the Deli.
Thursday 19th Roatan
Tab C Boat drill in the morning.
Deputy Zone Commander training. The gift shop manager is going to be off the ship for a week, and I will have to take over his position for safety briefings and boat drills.
I am appparently the queen of training. Tonight I arranged for our liquor specialist to do a liquor training with the team. You know... product knowledge and of course some tasting.
Friday 20th Grand Cayman
Hall and stairway guide training. Yep more safety training. Don't stand by me in an emergency. I've had so much training this week, my brain doesn't remember any of it. So I am not your best bet.
We are getting ready for inventory next month. So I spent the day in the office doing Inventory preparation. Boring.
In the evening I needed caffeine, so it was coffee and cookie from coffee shop. A hazelnut and raspberry latte
Oh, did you know today was national penguin awareness day?
I would like a pet penguin!
Saturday 21st Sea day
PCS training and test - 2 and 1/2 hours!!!!! Don't ask me what PCS stands for I don't remember, luckily I remembered enough to pass the test.
All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr